What is the TPF Process.
TPF (ThermoPolymericFibers) is a revolutionary and innovative composition system applied to some of the most recent generation of high technology composite fibers. It is ideal congenial for high- performance, small diameter fishing rods , such as fly and spinning rods. This process is based essentially on the stratified overlapping of two different mixture of carbon fibers, a traditional mixture, (normally composed of unidirectional medium/high modulus pre-impregnated fibers)and the other feauturing an innovative combination of graphite and stabilized thermopolymeric filaments. The result is a highly compressed concentric structure featuring extreme resistance to torsion and crushing, excellent passive reactivity and superior trasmissivity (sensibility).
How is casting with a TPF fly rod.
Thank to the innovative features of this new exclusive process, a TPF rod generally has the following characteristics:
1) with the same model design and power, a 15-20% weight saving in comparison to a good rod built using conventional technology.
2) better overall stability, as the secondary vibrations that are characteristic ov heavier and more unstable structure are pratically eliminated.
3) regularity of the sections, which means a better balance and distribution of the weight in relation to the rod-taper.
4) greater dynamic and structural strength, as the TPF layer creates a virtual internal "skeleton", a thermopolimeric cage that preventing the negative effects of the torsion and dynamic crushing phenomena that are typical of the tensile stresses to which a fly rod is subject.
5) inalterability over time, thanks to the particular molecular compression to which the structure is subjected during the shaping phase, it does not yield even after thousand of hours of use. All these innovative characteristics together give us an idea of what qualitative level reached by these new rods, which are the result of years af studies and experiments in which the Federal polytechnic School of Lausanne (Swizerland) together with the leading firm active in the thermoplastic and composite materials sectors. We are certain that the highter level of performances of these new fly rod will favorably impress whoever tries and use them, and we are also sure that anyone who uses these rods will be very reluctant to go back to the use of another rod.
Other innovative components
Together with the TPF structure, this project has also benefited from other improvements. Some of these are structural and others logistics. The former include the exclusive ICJ (Integrated Composite Joint) system for fixing the guides, which are of the "single foot" type and they are fixed to the rod with a sophisticated composite welding that incorporates them in the structure, thanks to this controlled application, the flexing parts of the rods are not overloaded with extraneous material that force them to support a heavy additional load. over that, In addition to being very light, this type of fixing creates stable anchorage point with the stem of the rod and partecipates in the trasmission of the inertial flow in linear manner and without dead centers. The special varnish, in addition to giving the rod an aggressive and modern styling , also actively partecipates in the improvement of the rod action draining the water left on the stem by the line through the porosity that characterizes it and thus prevents the tensioactive attraction of the line to the rod, a problem typically encountered whit very smooth or rectified varnishes where the creation of a water film limits the optimal running of the line through the guides and considerably decreases performance.
We have also fitted our new rods with a self-adjusting passive reel-seat (Uni-Lock System) ,this eliminates the need for ferrules to be tightened, with possibility of seizures and unscomfortable use, or for mobile rings with an ineffective grip. It provide, istead, a confortable and firm seat that can be adapted to accomodate the foot of any reel using a simple hooking movement.We have also working on other ideas to improve these rods. We are experimenting with a special non-slip varnish to be applied to the cork handgrip to make it more comfortable and steady to hold, a hook Keeper integrated in the connection cone to prevent snagging of the line during shooting and others major or minor innovations, but always with the aim of improving the performance of the rods and the comfort of the angler.
Tradition and Innovation
The making of an object like a good fly rod also require particular care. And this is something that only the know-how of specialists in this field and the skill of true craftsmen can guarantee. Both of these elements characteristic our firm, and our prime aim is the cultural revaluation of the fly rod, which, in the brief space of just a few decades, has ceased to be an object of distinction for enthusiast anglers and has become an anonymous supermarket product, made anywhere and promoted with the only aim to being sold. Our distribution policy will be characterized by an effort to revalue as much as possible the role of the fly rod conceived as an essential part of the user's hobby and not a not just a mere consumer item, a highly technological rod, but made in accordance with criteria more similar to those of a maker of bamboo rods than to those of an anonymous assembly line.
Indeed, these new rods will be made only to order placed by the customer through one of our authorized distributors. We will be made with all due care numbered and as far as possible customized to suit the angler's personal requirements, with the intention of involving the future owner in the actual making of his rod.